Friday, July 11, 2008

"You're a baby!"

The church of which I am now pastor has about 30 members living in a United Methodist retirement community, The Oaks. I had the privilege yesteday of visiting the six who are in the nursing center, introducing myself to five of them for the first time. I enjoy talking with people who are decades older and wiser than I am.

One of the ladies I met yesterday asked me how old I was, after confirming with a disbelieving voice that I am, indeed, the new PASTOR of the church. I told her the truth: I'll turn 34 years old this year.

Her reply: "Well, you're just a baby. A baby."

My response: "Yes, ma'am. I suppose I am."

Her again: "Yep. You're just a baby."

I suppose I may have been offended if I didn't believe that we're all always babies in comparison to our Lord, and that we all need to be reminded of that from time to time. I think we all get into a little trouble when we think we're "all grown up" in the faith and all wise. It's like I Peter 2:2 says:

Be like newborn babies, always thirsty for the pure spiritual milk, so that by drinking it you may grow up and be saved. (TEV).

So thanks, Mrs. T., for the reminder!

No comments: