Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Anyone Believe In Reincarnation?

Of course, the belief that our souls return to earth again and again from heaven, to inhabit different bodies at different times, is simply not a part of traditional Christian belief.

But the other day while riding in the car, my 3.5 year-old-son says:

So, mommy, when I rused (used) to be a big man, I drove a big ol' blue dump truck.
And I would hook up a big ol' trailer to my big ol' blue dump truck and I wore red boots when I would climb up into the truck. Yea, red boots.

And I said:
Really. Hmmmm....
That's very interesting, baby.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, does he just have a vivid imagination or he is truly remembering a past life? Just because we don't know and certain tenants would tell us to discount his "memories" I think there may be more than we can touch and feel and just possibly we do have past lives and when we're children we can actually remember them. My novel, Field of Destiny, explores the relationship between our past lives, free will and our present experiences and the one I'm working on now actually has a character, much like your son, who comes back quickly and holds memories from her most recent past life.

There are a lot of books with case histories to suggest these are true experiences. And why should be be afraid of them? Why should any religion discount the possibility? I say, keep an open mind, an open heart and see what it tells us.

I'd love to return to this blog and see what others have to say. - Patricia Sheehy, author

Stephen Taylor said...

Kristen,
Love the parenting moment episodes you include on your blog. I assume you just threw out the reincarnation spin for a humorous insight, so the comment from Ms Sheehy is interesting. More in response to her, one of the serious problems I have with any reincarnation belief is its dependence on an pre-existent independent "soul" - one that is capable of many "journeys." This in not the place for that discussion, so I just delight in your son's great imaginative world - which at his developmental stage is barely distinguishable from his "real" world. Besides, who wouldn't want to drive a big blue dump truck while wearing big red boots?