Saturday, August 16, 2008

Thank you, God, for Chris


This is the bulletin cover.
It was created from a picture Chris's wife Barbara took, and the skill of a good friend.
It represents my friend and mentor well.

On Wednesday night about 9:15, our Conference lost a wonderful minister. I thank God that for the past several years, I was able to know him...learn from him...pray with him...be encouraged by him. It was an immense privilege.

Tomorrow afternoon, we will celebrate his life and give thanks to God for him. The current pastor of the charge, two of his best friends and colleagues (like brothers to him), and I will do our best to be faithful to God, to him, and to his family as we honor him.

It will be hard.

Though he had suffered long, he was too young. He told me once that all he wanted was what was recorded in the Bible as a human life-span: three-score and ten years. He didn't make it.

He also told me he wasn't afraid to die; he firmly believed the promises and truth he had proclaimed as a preacher in our church for 42 years. He knew that death meant a new phase of our eternal life with Christ.

And still, his battle reminded me of Dylan Thomas' famous poem "Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night". Chris loved life. He adored his wife and family, and he loved being their patriarch and protector. He loved the beauty of this world...fishing, growing things, sitting on his back porch looking at the lake and feeling the breeze, cooking, visiting and eating with loved ones, giving advice to people like me, and cracking jokes...all the things that make our lives on earth real and enjoyable. He experienced the abundant life in THIS WORLD that Jesus promised. He did not want to give any of that up.

And so, those of us close to him watched him "rage against the dying of the light." He fought a 6-month prognosis for 11 months over this past year. He completely defied death 15 years ago. He lived each moment as fully as he could.

I thank you, God,
for letting me know and learn from Chris.
I thank you, God,
for his witness, and his preaching, and his life.
I thank you, God,
for giving him the fight, and for winning the battle for him.
Help me now, help all of us now,
to receive your promise and comfort,
and to be faithful.
Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and well said. Thanks for sharing. I didn't know Chris but had heard a lot about him. Your words helped me know him better. Thanks,
tim m

Brian said...

Kristen,
sorry for the loss of a friend, colleague, and mentor. May God be with you during your grieving process.

On another note, I have started updating my blog again!!