Saturday, April 25, 2009

A "Jedism" Kind of Weekend

I really need to be catching up on work, but since Jim shared with me this past week (at our Board of Camps and Retreats Ministries meeting at Asbury Hills UM Camp, about which I will blog soon) that he liked my sharing of my little boy's humor, I thought I'd relay a new "Jedism" from Thursday night.

When I got home from that overnight meeting, "Jed" and I had some quality time together, the latter part of which involved cleaning his mess from the den. You need to know that his best little stuffed friend is named "Lambie." Lambie is, of course, a lamb. Well, Lambie was on the floor, as were many other things. "Jed" couldn't get them all, so I offered to help him.

"Would you like for me to carry Lambie?" I asked helpfully.

"Yes," he said, absently.

We took a few steps into the hallway, at which point he actually noticed for the first time that I had picked up Lambie. He put out his little arms as if to stop me from moving.

"Oh, Mommy, Mommy," he said, "I meant 'no.' No, you can't carry Lambie."

"Why not?" I asked.

"Well, because you have to be special to carry him."

"Am I not special?" I asked, trying to hold down my smile.

"Um, well, you are special," he replied, "just not really quite special ENOUGH."

Gotta love the possessiveness of a four-year-old for his best friend!

1 comment:

Kurt Vetters said...

Love that!