Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Wreck

The other day I got a bill in the mail from the SC Department of Transportation. My husband had told me that it would probably eventually arrive, but even he began to doubt after this long. It seems that when you damage state property on the interstate (namely, the cable barrier in the median), you are responsible for paying.

You see, on October 24 (over 3 months ago now), I had a wreck. "Jed" and I were on our way to Greenville to celebrate the birthday of one of his little friends, the son of one of my best friends. As we made our way (yes, probably too quickly) up the interstate, a series of events ensued. The chain reaction started with my reaching into the back seat to get "Jed's" cup and ended with our car facing incoming traffic from the median, caught in the cable barrier between the north- and south-bound lanes. When it was all over, the passenger-side-curtain airbag had deployed, the interstate barrier cable had smashed the back window in on that same side (right beside my son) and "Jed" had a teeny scratch down his right arm, from the

"Jed" was a jewel and a trooper through the whole thing. He said,

"I wasn't even scared when the car went all wiggly; I just was like 'Whoa! What's goin' on here?'"

He also kept saying,
"I'm sorry you broke your car, Mommy. I really liked your car. I know you liked your car."

When I would tell him how sorry I was that I messed up driving and he was going to miss his friend's birthday party, he would just say
"It's OK, Mommy. It's OK."

In the face of my little boy that day, I saw the face of Jesus.

I also knew God's Spirit at work in some miracles and gifts, like:

+ Somehow, our car wasn't hit by another car as it swerved all over the two lanes of the interstate totally out of my control.

+ Somehow, our car didn't slam into another car as it swerved all over the two lanes of the interstate totally out of my control.

+ The two nicest young guys in a pick-up behind us (who had seen the whole thing) stopped to check on us, got "Jed" out of the back seat, and waited with us until the first responders came.

+ The officer that responded to the accident had a preschooler and thus a carseat in the back of his vehicle, and he offered to drive us to meet my mother (who was the first family member I could reach to come meet us, and who dropped everything to come)at a gas station 20 minutes away from the accident.

+ That same officer let me pile all my stuff (the car was loaded down) into his vehicle, and then helped us get it in my mother's car.

+ My mother drove us on up to Greenville to where the party was, and all the kids were still there and still in their costumes. "Jed" got to play with his friend on his birthday after all, and I got to see my good friends.

+ And, not least, neither of us were hurt in any way (with the exception of that teeny scratch on "Jed's" arm.

So, God showed up in some amazing ways, and I took a few weeks (during which I borrowed my Lay Leader's Jeep--thanks, Ken!) to discern what I should do for a new vehicle. Of course, they had totaled my beautiful 2-year-old Hybrid Civic. Ugh.

I do like my new car, though. It's just that the gas mileage isn't QUITE as good--only 32 MPG :-) (The hybrid got about 45).

All this was just brought back by that LARGE bill from SCDOT. I realized that I'd never shared the story. I'm remembering the good gifts. And I'm thanking God yet again for yet one more gift: GOOD CAR INSURANCE.

1 comment:

Zack, Jenn and William said...

Hi Kristen - I was so happy to see your comment on our blog yesterday! It's been so long since we've communicated through our blogs, and I wondered what was going on with you guys. Sounds like God is really at work! Would love to email and hear more about your possible upcoming travels!

Jenn
janedove75 @ yahoo . com (remove the spaces)