Thursday, March 13, 2008

Why I Love Bradford Pear Trees



After our marriage, my husband and I decided to plant a tree in the front yard of the parsonage. There were absolutely no trees on the big grassy lawn, and we thought it would be a nice addition, and something to be amazed by when we come back to visit here over the years and note how it has grown.

We talked a while about what kind of tree to buy, and we settled on my favorite yard tree: the Bradford Pear. They're in full bloom right now where we are; everywhere I go, I see them. And finally, after several years, our tree is doing exactly what I love most about these trees: heralding spring and the coming of Easter with branches reaching upward like hundreds of pure white arms praising God against the baby blue sky, while other trees and flowers continue to lie dormant.

When I look at Bradford Pear Trees in their first full bloom, especially on a warm clear day like today, I see resurrection. In the darkest coldest days of Passiontide and Holy Week, I see the promise of what comes on Easter morning. Everywhere, I see these reminders that God has not given up on creation, but instead brings life out of death and beauty from barrenness. I see the purity of God's love and faithfulness revealed in Jesus' life, death, and resurrection.

This coming Sunday we will bring branches of palms, not Bradford Pear blooms, and the Sunday after that we will smell the lilies, but until then...and even through Holy Week...the Bradford Pear trees in bloom all around me will be powerful living reminders, as well. Thank you, God, for all the ways your creation tells your truth.

No comments: