Friday, October 5, 2007

The Week's Highlights

Everyone within 30 miles of Salley, SC (I realize that's not many people :)) really must try the Hilltop Restaurant. It is indeed like something out of a movie. It looks like nothing but an old abandoned wooden structure on the outside, except if you pass by it at lunchtime...then you'll see the yard filled with pick-up trucks and a random car or three. When you step inside, you'll find an eclectic mix of tables and furnishings, and lots of working-class men (my boys and I went with another couple, and we were the only two women there, besides the women who run it). When you sit down, you'll be brought a plate full of food by one of the three women who run the place. There is no menu; you just get the two meats and four sides plate, whatever they're fixing that day. And I guarantee you'll love it, no matter what it is! Thanks, David, for introducing us to the Hilltop. It was wonderful food, and quite an experience. That was Wednesday.

Also on Wednesday, I got all riled up about President Bush's veto of the SCHIP expansion legislation. I got so riled up, in fact, that I actually e-mailed all the parishioners in my address book and asked them to prayerfully consider contacting our representative, as a justice and faith issue, to ask him to vote to override the President's veto. I was fully cognizant of the fact that our representative, who habitually stands with the president on every matter, had probably voted against the measure to begin with, and that my/our plea may very well fall on deaf ears. Still, I believe the Holy Spirit can and does change people when they are open, and often the Spirit speaks to one human being through other human beings, so I felt God leading me to contact him myself and invite my people to do the same. I've only gotten one reply from parishioners, and the reply I received from Representative Wilson was, of course, a form letter explaining why indeed he had voted against the measure to begin with, as I suspected. Something about fewer people smoking so the source of funding for the expansion shrinking, and about illegal immigrants being able to access the program if it's expanded (as if I would think that's a terrible thing)due to lack of adequate identification requirements. I think these are pretty weak reasons not to cover more uninsured children. If the cigarette money dries up, then legislate a way to cover the cost when needed! Haven't we every heard of faith in God to provide when we are faithful to working with God on the justice and mercy things in society? Anyway...

I've spent the last two days in a Coach Certification training for the conference. I think becoming a certified coach may just change the way I do ministry and even relate to my friends, family, and pretty much everyone else. My husband has already said at least once. "I know what you're doing. Don't coach me. (Smile)" I look forward to seeing where this goes in our conference. It, like Natural Church Development, has the potential to be extremely transformative. Another work of the Holy Spirit? You just can't stop that guy (or gal, whatever perspective you have).

I look forward to World Communion Sunday. I'll blog more on that later.

1 comment:

Stephen Taylor said...

Welcome to the blogging world Kristen! Didn't realize you were such a political activist! And thanks for the link.